Saturday 4 July 2015

Spirit of Biking 8

My first interest in motorcycles developed when, at the age of 6, I discovered that my father had kept in the basement of our house, the old 1928 350cc Soyer motorcycle which belonged to my grandfather. I would find any opportunity to sneak down in the dark and dusty basement, find my way to the bike, climb on to it, and dream of riding it for hours. I was fascinated by the aesthetic of this machine. I remember perfectly the feel of the brass handles as I was desperately trying to reach the handlebars and the fantastic combination of colours and textures, where, brass, copper, metal, nickel, rough cast aluminium and leather worked together in perfect harmony. The machine had a wonderful smell, a blend of oil and old fuel. That moment was a revelation to me…

I haven’t stopped thinking, dreaming, breathing and talking about bikes since. These machines are much more than just a way of transport. These machines are an obsession and they have definitely shaped my life.

Laurent from Storik​

No comments:

Post a Comment